The present Township of Gloucester was one of the original townships that comprised Old Gloucester County. It became the county's first political subdivision in 1685. The boundaries of the county extended from the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean until 1683, when it was divided into two townships; Egg Harbor Township and Gloucester Township. Gloucester Township, which took its name from the cathedral town of Gloucester on the banks of the Severn in England, was further subdivided into four smaller townships. On June 1, 1695 the township became one of the first New Jersey municipalities to incorporate. In 1884, the township became part of the newly-formed County of Camden.
Gabreil Daveis Tavern House
The Gabreil Daveis Tavern house is located on 4th Avenue in Glendora. This pre-revolutionary war tavern was built in 1756 and for many years served as an inn for boatmen who transported their products to Philadelphia via nearby Big Timber Creek. It was recently restored and now serves as Gloucester Township's historical centerpiece. This building has also been referred to as The Hillman Hospital House because it was designated a hospital by George Washington during the Revolution. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is open to visitors every other Sunday afternoon, from 1 PM to 4 PM, beginning on April , excepting holidays. The tours are free and donations are gladly accepted. You will get a short history of the tavern and what life was like in those days when travel was mainly by waterway. Each of our tour guides are volunteer members of the committee who shares their time and talents so that the public may be better informed of the local history.
Located on Good Intent Road in Blenheim. One of the first settlers of Gloucester County, James Whitall, built this house in 1688. This well-preserved landmark in Blenheim is privately owned and occupied, and is listed in both the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. Blenheim was referred to as Upton by the very first settlers of the area, but since the strategic location was not needed to defend against the peaceful Indians they encountered, many of the settlers left the area, and it became known to historians as the "Lost Town of Upton." The Chew-Powell-Wallens Burying Ground, adjacent to the house, is believed to be the oldest cemetery in the township. The cemetery not only contains the remains of early settlers, but also those of Revolutionary and Civil Wars soldiers, and Leni Lenape Indians.
The Marquadant-Johnson Farm House
This home was one of the original Brewer homes built in the area. The rear of the house was built in the 1700s, but the front was built in 1824. The building's background was researched by Elmer Hill, a direct descendant of the Johnson's. The Marquadant-Johnson Farm House is now privately owned and occupied.
The Gloucester Township Scenic and Preservation Committee has the History of Gloucester Township on sale and you can pick up a copy at the Mayor's Office in the Township Building, the book makes a fine gift.
Information supplied by
The Historic and Scenic Preservation Committee of Gloucester Township
4th Avenue, Glendora, NJ 08029
For more information, please click here to download our Demographics PDF (requires Acrobat Reader to view)
|Total Housing Units:||24,711*|
*2010 US CENSUS